What is a lightweight down jacket?
It is something very functional.
A lightweight down jacket is a very useful piece in a man’s wardrobe especially if you like to layer.
If you’re going to be in areas where it is cold and you value really the strengths that this piece of clothing brings to the table.
A down coat or jacket is largely a “warmth” layer, worn to keep the wearer comfortable in cold weather.
Can a Lightweight Coat Jacket be a Classic Wardrobe Piece?
Below is a Quick Video Summary of Men’s Lightweight Down Jacket
Features of a Lightweight Down Jacket
- The Down is an excellent insulator and how it does that is actually with the pockets. It consists of small, short, feather-like puffs with a very slender central stem and lightweight, hollow fibers.
- The quilting segments the jacket up into pockets, rings, or other divided compartments, each one stuffed with down. The pockets are sewn shut and attached at the edges, so that the coat is really made of a patchwork of big, puffy pockets.
- The lightweight down jacket has a number of pockets that suck in air. They are very feather-like, much smaller. They create space and the air comes in, the air is trapped.
Strengths of a Lightweight Down Jacket
- Warm – if you are going hiking, a lightweight jacket could be an option assuming that you’re going hiking in a dry area. If you’re going to be hiking and there is going to be no rain for the foreseeable future, great piece of gear, incredibly light. It will keep you warm.
- Lightweight – it is incredibly light. It’s a bit loud, so if you’re kind of a high-speed, low drag military guy, you probably don’t want to be using this because it gives off a lot of sound.
- Compression – this is a great piece of gear to take with you also because it can be compressed down. So during the day, it may be pretty warm and at night, you can pull this out because it sucks in the air and it forms those pockets. In a sense, air is all over us, all around us. So again, you can compress this very small.
- Water-resistant – another thing about these jackets, they usually use a lot of synthetic material on the outside, so pretty good at water just rolling off.
- Bright colors – there are parkas and other things that use down and they use more drab colors, but a lot of the garments in this area, you’re going to see maybe with very bright colors. It is good for safety reasons. You’re out hiking and you get lost, all of a sudden, you’re a lot easier to spot from an airplane, or if you’re out walking on a trail and it’s hunting season but a bright color like this is going to separate you from the animals.
Weaknesses of a Lightweight Down Jacket
- Loses Performance – if you get down wet, it loses its insulating properties and it takes a long time to dry out, so down is not a good thing even if it’s water-resistant. If you fall into a lake or river or you get drenched on, you could end up with a jacket that’s very heavy and is not insulating at all, so that is a negative aspect.
- Outdated Style – It has been overplayed since the ’90s. It used to be that if you’re wearing a puffy jacket, you are actually going outdoors. It means that you can walk through any of the major cities and instead of men wearing stylish gears, most guys look like they’re basically packed to go climb Mount Everest or Mount McKinley or something.
- Does not flatter the figure – even if you’ve got a pretty good size chest, you exercise, your waist, you’ve got the six packs, no one’s going to see it. I mean, you might as well have a keg underneath this jacket because you look like a marshmallow.
- Hard to adjust – the lightweight down jacket is a bit harder even for a seamstress or tailor to bring in, so if it doesn’t fit properly, it’s going to be hard to adjust that. They’ve got an elastic around the wrist, which is supposed to help keep in heat, but it’s going to be hard for a seamstress to shorten or lengthen.
For the right man, this could be an essential wardrobe piece, but for some of you, there’s really no room for this.
Looking for a water resistant, quilted jacket? Click here to buy Dickies Men’s Quilted Nylon Jacket