Like many men, I didn’t see my father much growing up.
After my parents divorced, he stayed in California and we moved east to Texas when I was about 5.
Interestingly, the earliest and most powerful memories I have of him are not the trips to Disneyland, the summer drives from Midland to Los Angeles, or that year we spent in Buffalo, Wyoming.
Instead – what I remember vividly is the smell of his aftershave.
It wasn’t anything fancy – he used Old Spice – but to this day that smell can transport me back to a time when life wasn’t about work & responsibility.
That is the power of fragrance.
One of our five sense – it’s often the least developed off all our sensory skills. Which is a shame – as it has very powerful properties that affect our memories and whether or not we like something. It’s the only sense directly hardwired to the brain.
This article is in support of my video Interview with Alex, men’s fragrance expert. In this five part series we’ll discuss what exactly is cologne, why fragrance matters for men, how to apply, how to select a brand that suits you, and how to buy cologne when you are ready.
Here is our first interview in the series – An Introduction To Men’s Fragrance
Make sure to watch the above video as the writings below are a quick summary of our introduction to fragrance for men.
What Is Fragrance?
- An invisible accessory
- An extension of fashion
- A magnifying glass able to enlarge and clarify style – it magnifies elements of nature.
Why does fragrance appeal to men?
- Men who wear the right cologne can get a strong sense of enjoyment from it. Alex has a great analogy – he compares wearing the right cologne to when you’re playing poker and are dealt a strong hand. Even though no one else can see you have a strong hand, you know what you have and the feeling of strength and confidence flows through you.
- Fragrance can also help you rebrand yourself.
- Also – the potential for women to share in the experience with you is a strong appeal – in fact the marketers pushing this fragrance would want you to believe their cologne is liquid attraction. However this should be secondary and I agree with Alex that a man should first wear a cologne for himself.
What gives Fragrance it’s unique power?
- Fragrance is invisible – it projects an element of mystery that forces others to chase and want to grasp what it is they are smelling. It draws compliments from women because it’s a medium they have traditionally dominated.
- Perfume isn’t flat – it has a 3 dimensional feel to it .
- Scent is the quickest shortcut to the mind – it’s romantic because it bring back memories and feelings.
- Wearing a fragrance can help you become memorable. And we’ll end on this powerful point:)
Learn more about men’s perfume. Check out this post on understanding fragrance difference.