We’ve all heard about how important it is to stand out in a crowded world, and that is certainly good advice. But have you ever considered the value in meeting the expectations of the part you want to play in life?
The “Halo Effect” has been well-documented throughout the years. It refers to the fact that people who look the role that they play in life tend to see more success in their field. For instance, someone who is in the army, and really looks like our preconceived notions of a soldier (tall, muscular, broad shoulders, sharp jaw line, etc) is more likely to get promoted than someone who may be just as qualified or even more so, but doesn’t look the part.
While the halo effect is unfair, it cannot be denied that it exists and affects your success greatly. This is why you must make sure you do everything in your power to use it to your advantage. While there are certain things about your body, build and look that you cannot control, there are things that you can, and the halo effect is the reason that you should make such as effort to do so.
So pay attention to this episode of The Personal Image System Podcast! This is foundational to why personal image matters so greatly, and why you should be doing everything in your power to use it to your advantage. It may not be fair, but it is an undeniable factor, and one that you should be taking advantage of. Learn how to, on this episode of The Personal Image System Podcast!
Click here to listen on iTunes – Podcast 10: The Halo Effect: The Science of Style
Click here to listen on Soundcloud – Podcast 10: The Halo Effect: The Science of Style
Click here to listen on Stitcher – Podcast 10:The Halo Effect: The Science of Style
- The original “Halo Error” showed that when a person looked like the ideal of what was perceived as the ideal soldier, they were ranked higher
- We have lots of preconceived notions about what someone should look like for what they do, and often those preconceived notions are simply wrong
- We see this with attractive women all the time. As an attractive woman, you are also given a free pass on a lot of things
- There is only so much you can control in your body build, structure, and aspects like those. But if you can control something, like your personal image, you should carefully consider the role you want to play in life, and look the part
- When you look the part, people tend to give you the benefit of the doubt
- Nobody purposefully lets themselves be swayed by the halo effect. It’s a subconscious effect
- Don’t betray the expectation of the environment you’re in. Use the halo effect to your advantage by looking the part you play or want to play
Carefully analyze the part you are trying to play in life, whether technician, doctor, CEO, soldier, or anything else, and meet those expectations, because when you do, people will tend to give you the benefit of the doubt.
The only comprehensive men’s style course, which you can take anywhere and dramatically improve your style in less than 6 weeks.
Free foundation course to up your style quickly.
Catch up with the latest videos, or browse by category. Save a custom playlist you can access anytime– never miss an episode. Click to download