Have you been thinking about changing up your style? Think wearing a suit to work, or wearing nice clothes to a bar will get people to notice you more? Chances are you may be in for a rude awakening, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t go for it.
In reality when we wear new clothes what we expect to happen doesn’t. Women probably won’t compliment you because they are afraid you will think they are hitting on them and they worry things will go in the wrong direction fast.
When you walk into the office looking sharp you probably don’t get a lot of people mentioning your outfit. It’s not because they don’t like it, or that they don’t notice it. You will make an impression, people usually just aren’t vocal about it.
And it’s also important to remember that just like a new pair of shoes, you have to break in your style. There’s going to be things about what you are wearing you will have to get used to and you won’t know what they are until you start wearing it for a long time.
Maybe wearing a suit jacket makes you feel too warm at first, because you’re used to the A/C blowing directly on you. Maybe those dress socks will get itchy because you’re os used to wearing short white gym socks.
I’m not here to discourage you from upping your game when it comes to your style. Quite the opposite. I want you to let you know the common expectations people have, and share with you the reality of what you are getting yourself into so that you don’t get discouraged and quit.
Download this episode of Real Men Real Style and hear the reality of what happens when you decide to change up your style game.
Click here to listen on iTunes – Podcast #99: Dressing Sharp: Expectations vs Reality
Click here to listen on Soundcloud – Podcast #99: Dressing Sharp: Expectations vs Reality
Click here to listen on Stitcher – Podcast #99: Dressing Sharp: Expectations vs Reality
7 Expectations VS Reality
- Expectation: New clothing will make you look great.
Reality: Only the right clothing will make you look great
- Expectation: When you level up your style everyone will notice.
Reality: Most people don’t care about your style.
- Expectation: You’re going to rock your new fashion.
Reality: You need to build confidence before wearing clothes out.
- Expectation: You’re going to get compliments from women.
Reality: More men will notice your style change.
- Expectation: More money = better quality.
Reality: Most brands are way overpriced.
- Expectation: You’re going to rock a new hairstyle.
Reality: Your hair either looks terrible or you can’t reproduce what the barber did
- Expectation: You’ll stop shaving and have a beard in a month.
Reality: After a month you’re going to have an itchy scruff.
- You have to nail fit, fabric, and function.
- When you buy something off the rack take it to a tailor to have it fitted.
- Find the right brand that works for your body type.
- Get the best fabric you can afford.
- Go with classic styles so they last.
- People you interact with will be subliminally influenced by your attire.
- Even if they don’t say anything, people will notice.
- Women are more reserved about giving compliments.
- Women worry men will think their compliment means they are hitting on them.
- Overpriced brands are older and generally bought out by someone else.
- Find groups and online forums that discuss the quality of brands.
- People who write reviews are either super happy or super upset.
- Don’t be afraid to go to the barber and ask them what they did.
- Right after a haircut, take a photo.
- Pay attention to the brush and products the barber used.
- Most people take 6 months to a year to grow a beard.
To really rock a style it takes time and confidence.
Catch up with the latest videos, or browse by category. Save a custom playlist you can access anytime– never miss an episode. Click to download